James and Henry Draysey leased a plot of land bordering Inge Street and Hurst Street to build a theatre. There were to be concerts, theatrical and animal entertainment! The wealthy brothers made their money from horses, bookmaking and property. The new Tower of Varieties and Circus opened on 9 October 1899, the design of local architect Mr. F. W. Lloyd. It had a tall tower with an onion shaped top, and the whole theatre was lit by electric light. Despite some good reviews the venture closed only five weeks after opening.
The first performer at the Tower of Varieties and Circus was Alfred Clark: a juggler.